FiveDinners: Sweet potato and broccoli Calzone
Total cooking time: 50 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven 240FAN/ 260c
- Start by preparing the sweet potato and frying in a little olive oil.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the sweet potato is cooking.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan with the sweet potato, followed by the broccoli.
- Then pour in about 100ml water (careful as it will create a lot of steam) and immediately cover and leave to steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato and vegetables are tender remove from the heat, stir in the tomato puree, season and leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Roll out pastry to thickness of 3mm and cut into four equal squares.
- Line a baking tray with parchment, place one pastry square on tray.
- Spoon a quarter of the filling onto one half of each of the pastry quarters.
- Sprinkle some cheese and rip some mozzarella over the filling of each.
- Wet the edge of the pastry around the filling with the whisked egg and fold pastry over filling and seal the edge by pressing down and clipping together with your fingertips.
- Brush with egg wash and pierce with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approx. 20 minutes or until top is golden; remove and serve!
You will need:
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, diced 1cm cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 100ml water
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 320g pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
- Rolling pin and mixing bowl
- frying pan