FiveDinners: one-pot sausage and vegetable rice
Total cooking time: 22 minutes.
- Fry the diced onion and fennel seeds, if using, in olive oil for a few minutes before adding the garlic, then squeeze the sausages out of their skins into 1 inch chunks into the pan.
- Season pan with salt, pepper, add the tomato purée and rice and mix together.
- Add the stock (this works to a ratio of 1 rice:1.5 water), stir until fully mixed together, add more water if rice is not fully submerged.
- Slice the red pepper and lay over the top of rice.
- Bring pan to a simmer, then cover with lid and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to rest with lid on for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and squeeze juice half lemon over the top and serve.
You will need:
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 4 sausages
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 250g basmati rice
- 625ml hot water
- 250g frozen peas
- 250g sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Half a red pepper
- 10g parsley to serve
- 1 lemon to serve
- Frying pan and lid