Gluten Free Halloween Cupcakes
Total cooking time: Prep 40. Total 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and mix together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the softened butter and sugar and then add the red food colouring. Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the eggs and milk pouring slowly. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cakes are soft and springy to touch.
- Once removed from the oven, place on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water or in a microwave. Be careful to ensure that the mix does not come into contact with the water.
- In a bowl, combine the icing sugar, vanilla and 60ml of the milk. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and then add the remaining milk a little at a time until the desire consistency is achieved.
- Let the icing stand until spreadable (the frosting will thicken as it cools).
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, pipe or spread the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- To make each spider decoration:
To make the body, take 1 strand from a Peeler and roll into a spiral. Secure with a small blob of icing and place in the middle of the cupcake.
To make the legs, cut Peeler pieces into 5cm strips making 8 in total. Bend the end of each one towards you and then position them on the cake so that they are coming out of the spider body. Affix 2 yogurt halves towards the top of the body of the spider for the eyes and then place a piece of blackcurrant flake in the centre of each one for the pupils.
Repeat for the remaining cupcakes.
You will need:
- 250g Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 2tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 100g Softened butter
- 150g Caster sugar
- 1tbsp Red food colouring
- 2 Eggs
- 150ml Milk
- 1 bag Strawberry Flakes
- Chocolate Frosting
- 55g Softened butter
- 90g Milk or Dark cooking chocolate
- 215g Icing sugar
- 2 drops of Vanilla Extract/Vanilla Essence
- 88ml Milk
- 2 packs of Blackcurrant or Raspberry Peelers
- 1 bag of Yogurt coated raisins, halved widthways
- 1 bag Blackcurrant Fruit Flakes cut into pieces