Dino Eggs Surprise Cupcakes
Total cooking time: 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional oven)/160°C (fan oven), Gas Mark 4.
- Line an ungreased bun tray with 8-10 cupcake cases.
- Sieve the flour into a small bowl.
- In a separate, medium sized, bowl and using a handheld electric mixer or a wooden spoon, beat the softened butter or baking spread until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until pale in colour and light and fluffy in texture.
- Beat in the whole eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour with each.
- Gently fold in the remaining flour, the milk and flavouring using a metal spoon, mixing well.
- Place equal amounts of the mixture into the cupcake cases (about half fill the cases) and pop in the oven for 15 minutes, baking until the cakes are golden, soft and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream:
- In a bowl, cream the butter or baking spread until smooth and creamy, using the electric mixer or wooden spoon.
- Gradually beat in the sieved icing sugar and add the milk and flavouring, mixing until creamy and smooth.
- Add 2-3 drops of colour as desired. We divided our icing into three equal quantities and added drops of green, blue and pink colours to each one.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, using a teaspoon, hollow out a small circle of cake (approx 2.5cm deep) from each cupcake. Set the circles aside. Fill each hole with dino eggs, then replace the tops.
- Spread or pipe (using a large star shaped nozzle or similar) the buttercream onto the cupcakes.
- Decorate the top of each cupcake with 3 Dino eggs.
- Enjoy eating them with your friends and family - yum
Servings: 8 - 10
You will need:
- For the cupcakes:
- 115g softened butter or baking spread
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- A few drops of vanilla extract (or another flavouring of your choice)
- For the buttercream:
- 200g butter or baking spread, softened
- 400g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tbsp milk
- A few drops of vanilla extract (or another flavour of your choice)
- A few drops of green, pink and blue food colours (or any other colours of your choice)
- 5-7 bags of Dino eggs™ for the centres of the cupcakes and to decorate the tops